Speaker: David Roberts
A must-see experience, our special guest David Roberts will take you on an inspiring journey of self-reflection, describing the essential role you must play to shape our collective future.
– To navigate the changes of exponential technologies we have to rethink most of society’s basic assumptions
– There are no innocent bystanders, we collectively need to get involved and make a difference
– Our brain evolved to ensure our survival but courage of engaging will drive us forward
– Humanity is by nature exponential but it is as a group that we have to shape our collective future
Speakers: Cameron Schuler, Ed Clark, Amanda Lang (Moderator)
Machine Intelligence, From Research to Impact
A conversation about research, work, and opportunity in a world that is becoming increasingly automated and intelligent.
- A discussion and debate highlighting AI/machine learning, from the perspective of some of the policy and social decisions that we have to make as we move forward.
- Examining these options, that will include regulations, ethics, and international agreements.
- We may explore some of the fears around AI (i.e. the robots will kill us) but the conversation is likely to skew toward the optimistic and aim to be helpful food for thought.
Business Journalist, Author
Executive Director, Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute, CEO & Co-Founder VibeDx Diagnostic Corp.
Advisor, Former President and CEO, TD Bank
Speaker: Amin Toufani
The macro-economic trends of exponential technologies and their impact on financial markets, policy, and risk management.
- 20th century economic models were geared toward a zero-sum game – exponential economics is not and is creating more redistributed value.
- Blockchain mechanism enables both trust and settlement of payments.
- Exponential technologies give companies and people the ability to engage in nano-economic relationships.
- Humanity needs to strengthen its adaptability skill set. The good news is that it’s coachable!
- Corporations need a Chief Adaptability Officer to help the ride the exponential transformation.
Speaker: Robert Greenhill
Executive Chairman, Global Canada
Intro to the Prosperity Theme
A brief introduction the Global Grand Challenge of Prosperity and what this segment will cover.
Speakers: Ramez Naam, Tom Rand, Josipa Petrunic, Sean Collins, Diane Francis (Moderator)
[Debate] What the Future of Energy Means for Canada
A strategic conversation and debate on how everything we know about energy is changing the future of Canada and impacting all of us.
- Canada is one of the world’s five biggest exporters of energy: oil, natural gas, electricity, uranium, coal.
- Canadian living standards are largely underpinned by this industry, with energy accounting for roughly 40% of total exports annually.
- It is critical for Canadians to understand the trajectory of disruption in all these commodities and figure out how to replace the economic activity and jobs they generate.
Editor-at-Large, National Post
Energy & Environmental Systems, Singularity University
Managing Partner, ArcTern Ventures
Executive Director & CEO, Canadian Urban Transit Research & Innovation Consortium
President, Terrapin Geothermics